Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I have Gestational Diabetes

So, I never even made it to my 3 hour test. I took the 1 hour glucose test on Friday morning. I expected to fail (most women I know failed their 1 hour). but, I wasn't expecting to be told that i was being admitted to the hospital. I got a call at about 8:50 Monday morning telling me that I not only failed the 1 hour, but I was being admitted. The doctors' office cut off for passing is 135. My blood sugar came in at 343. No, that is not a typo. I have full blown GD.

I went to the hospital as a direct admit. Once I got settled in my room, they took my blood, I had an u/s, was put on fetal heartrate monitor and was finally given something to eat. I was told that my blood sugar was now going to be tested 2 hours after every main meal (b-fast, lunch and dinner) and first thing in the a.m. (before eating). I was also told that I was going to learn how to do this myself.

The good news is that the baby looked great and had a nice strong heartbeat. Also, all of my blood levels/electrolytes came back great. their only concern was my blood sugar. The doctors think that I could have had diabetes before I got pregnant and the pregnancy just made it all worse. We won't know for sure until about 6-8 weeks after the baby is born and we will test me again.

I was released from the hospital last night (after a 2 day, 1 night stay). Just before i was discharged, i was told that I was being put directly on insulin (apparently my sugar was so high that even pills and diet won't work). so, I give myself injections every morning, before dinner and before bed. At least I have experience in preparing the needles and giving myself injections! Oh joy! i am also on a 2200 calorie diabetic diet which is A LOT of food. In fact, by the end of the day, I am so full it is hard to get all the food down.

I am in shock b/c I was feeling great. The only "sign" that i was aware of that something might be wrong is that for the past couple of weeks I have been REALLY thirsty. Like I can't drink enough. My main concern now is doing what I have to do for Peanut. I know that the baby is only as good as I am since I am his main provider, but I will worry about me after the baby is born. My main concern right now is keeping Peanut safe. Starting at 32 weeks i will be seeing my doctor 2 times per week for close monitoring. 1 day will be on a monitor to check his heart rate and to check that I'm not having contractions. the other day is for an u/s to make sure he isn't too big (which is a complication of GD).

I am going to be strong to do this. I did have a minor meltdown in the hospital b/c a part of me thinks it's my fault. I was overweight to begin with and a part of me feels that I put my baby in danger. What the doctor tried to tell me was that even the thinnest of women can end up with GD. It is just a "side-effect" of pregnancy in some women. she told me not to be hard on myself and to know that I'm now doing everything i can for my baby.

I will get used to the shots and testing my blood. but, the thing that scares me the most is the diet. I'm still allowed carbs, but now I have to watch for and account for EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. I didn't become overweight by doing this. It is going to be an effort for me to eat right. i know what I have to do, but I am scared to do it.

On a positive note: yesterday morning my fasting (first test in the a.m.) blood sugar came in at 190. this morning, after 2 doses of insulin, it was 157. I pray that things continue to get better.

2 comments:

Maria (MKC101103) said...

What an ordeal you've been through. I'm glad things are getting better and I know you're strong enough to do whatever is necessary for your Peanut :)

Familia Azul said...

I started reading your blog recently found it through the nest I suppose. I also was just diagnosed with GD. how are you doing with it? I'm also on insulin. Today is my first day. My numbers are still high....but I'll do whatever I have to for this baby. Best of luck. It would be great to chat occasionally since we're both in the same boat. i'm Nancy814 on the nest.