Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Love/Hate Relationship

I have come to the conclusion that pregnancy is like a love/hate relationship. There are things I love about being pregnant, and things I hate about it.

Things I love about pregnancy:

1. the fact that there is a human being growing inside of me. It boggles my mind. It is hard to grasp the miracle that pregnancy is. I feel so lucky that I get to experience this. A part of me feels bad for Frank b/c I get this experience and he gets to watch it.

2. my taste buds are enhanced. Good food tastes even better to me. So far fruit is the thing I crave the most. I live that it is cold and refreshing.

3. getting bigger. I am already showing and I love it. Maybe b/c I waited so long to get pregnant that I want the whole world to know. And maternity clothes are VERY comfortable.

4. bigger boobs. I was never "tiny" but I love the fullness of them. So does Frank, but that's for an x-rated blog. :-)

5. morning sickness. OK, so I don't LOVE it, but to me it says things are working.

6. the hopes and dreams for my child. I love thinking about names, who he/she will look like, if it is a he or she. It is all still amazing to me.

Things I hate about pregnancy:

1. Increased sense of smell. Even before pregnancy, I had a freakish sense of smell. Now it is worse.

2. constipation. Need I say more. Bran muffins and colace aren't working. Next on the list - prune juice (anyone have any other suggestions?)

3. waking up in the middle of the night. If one more person says to get my sleep now b/c I won't have it later, I'll deck them. I understand that the baby doesn't sleep, and I am trying to get my sleep now. But waking up the middle of the night to pee and then NOT being able to fall right back to sleep does not make me happy.

4. not being able to take anything for a cold. Colds are hard enough as it is, but to have to suffer through a cold just plain ole stinks!

5. the constant worry. I don't know if it b/c of my history (previous m/c) or if I'm just a worry-wart. The part I hate the most about pregnancy is that I'm always worrying something will happen to my baby. I'm afraid that everything I do or eat is harming my child. The fact that I'm spotting every couple of days (still brown) makes me more nervous. I know I was told that it is common and the reason for it, but it still doesn't make it any easier. I just want to know that my child is OK and healthy.

Being pregnant has taught me to slow down. I used to go, go, go all the time, and now I spend most of my time off my feet. I know a lot of this recently is b/c of the spotting. And, no exercise for me either - doctor's orders. I really wish I were given permission to at least go walking, but I know that staying off my feet as much as possible is good for the baby. I will do ANYTHING for this baby.

Please don't misconstrue my complaints as actual complaints. Like I said before, I am so lucky to be pregnant. After 2 years of trying and 2 years of disappointments, it really is a miracle. Infertility changed my live forever and I will never forget going through that.

No comments: