Friday, July 18, 2008

US Transplant Games

This past weekend my family and I went to the US Transplant Games in Pittsburgh, PA. My father received the gift of life with a new kidney almost 5 years ago. This is the 1st year he participated in the Games. There were approximately 1500 althletes, all of whom received some kind of organ transplant. There were also some living donors there, as well as donor families. Then there were the the "spectors" - the families of the althelets and organ donors. There were easily a couple of thousand people at the Games.

I knew it was going to be an emotional weekend, but I did not expect to feel the way I did. Every athlete there was a winner. Some were given not just a second chance at life, but a third and fourth chance too. There was a woman who received 2 double lung transplants, and another girl who received 2 heart transplants, suffered 3 strokes and had to teach herself to read and write a couple of times in her life - and she wasn't even 18 yet. Both of these women even medalled at the games - swimming, running, etc. Then there were the donor families. Their stories made me tear up each time. These are the families that lost a loved one and in their time of sorrow gave the greatest gift of all.

My father hadn't been involved with anything regarding his transplant, except to contact the donor family. We met them once and they even came to my wedding (they are family now after all). But to see my father in his element was truly special. He was so excited to get to Pittsburgh that he was like Mario Andretti on the PA Turnpike. What a change in my father from 5 years ago. I am very proud of my father and was very excited for him this weekend.

The US Games are held every 2 years. Every "odd" year they are held worldwide. So, in 2009 - the Games will be held in Australia and in 2010 they will be held in Madison, WI. We are all planning on going again in 2010 and I can't wait.

No comments: