Thursday, July 31, 2008

Catching up

It has been a couple of weeks since my last entry, so I thought I would catch up in what's been going on.

Last week I had a trip (and an overnight stay) at the hospital. I hadn't been feeling great (it was very hot and humid here). By the 2nd day of feeling lousy, and having some pain in my abdomen, I went to the dr. They monitored me (no contractions, found hb right away) and then decided to send me to the hospital for some tests. Why the hospital? This way the results would be in a lot faster than if the same tests were done at the dr.'s office.

Off to the hospital I went. They hooked me up to a monitor again and did an ultrasound. Got to see Peanut - he waved at me and gave me a nice swift kick! They also drew some blood and then I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally my dr. came in and said that everything looked great. All of my test results looked good. BUT, they were keeping me overnight for observation. They wanted to make sure that it wasn't appendicitis. So, after a sleepless night in the hospital in the high risk unit of the maternity ward (sleeplessness was b/c people kept coming into the room for my roommate or b/c my IV alarm kept going off), I was feeling much better the next morning (except for lack of food and sleep), I was freed. We have no idea what caused me to feel the way I did (dehydration, virus, just being pregant?), I am feeling better.

This week Frank and I went looking at day care centers. We saw the 3 that are closest to us and think we made a decision. For now, this place will work for us. As our child gets older and our needs change, we might need to re-evaluate, but we both like our first decision (I asked for his opinion before I stated mine). We can't agree on a 2nd choice, but at least we like our 1st choice.

And, I'm starting to go through the Baby Bargains book and coming up with a list on what to register for. This is so completely overwhelming. I thought it was tough when registering for my wedding. This is nuts! Thankfully I have my sister, great friends and a wonderful message board of women who can help me with what to choose.

Next on our list is our big Level II ultrasound. I'm both excited and nervous about this. That is in 2 weeks. After that, we can register and start interview pediatricians.

As of the time of this post, I am 18 weeks and 3 days pregnant. NUTS!!

As for how I'm feeling - I get a lot of small headaches and I'm constantly tired. There is still some nausea, but nothing horrible. I do feel bloated and full all the time, so eating is still a challenge. And, every once in a while my feet start to swell. But, considering I'm pregnant, I feel pretty good!

No comments: